6.28.2016

these are the days

The three of us went to the grocery store yesterday. That's always fun. I plopped Keller in the cart for the first time without a carseat and he squealed and laughed and tried to grab every single glass jar he saw. And since Keller was so excitedly taking up the front seat, I plopped big brother Porter in the back of the cart, right where all the groceries are supposed to go. So then we didn't have any room for the food. We walked out with a whopping six things and I carried them all under my armpits. SO FUN. But putting food under my armpits is not the point of this post. When we were checking out, a little old lady came up to me and patted me on the back. I think she could tell I was a bit flustered from our 27 minute grocery store trip to pick up six items. Or maybe she heard Porter screaming in the toilet paper isle, "mommmmy ... you have poop in your car, you have poop in your caaaaaar." (I didn't have poop in my car, for the record). Anywho, this sweet little old lady leaned in close and said, "these are the best days of your life, when they are little like this." And then her eyes filled up with tears as she continued with, "these are the best days because they need you." When we got home from the store, I crossed off every to-do item I had planned for that day and just played. I didn't get the boys' rooms cleaned like I try to do every Monday. And the kitchen was a wreck when Dan came home. But ... I remember Porter practicing his counting ("Unnn, Two, Theee, Nine") while jumping on his trampoline and I remember Keller giggling as I blew raspberries on his tummy. The days can be long. But the years are, most definitely, short. To my sweet boys ... no matter how much or how little you need me ... I will always, always be here for you.