10.12.2015

no-bake energy bites

Don't worry, I didn't lie to you. I'm still on a no-baking strike. Which is why I'm loving anything and everything that starts with the words "no-bake." And I won't even look at anything that consists of more than five ingredients. But I really prefer no more than three. Anywho, I'm putting this little recipe on le blog because I plan on making a batch of these every other day. They are so great to have on hand, especially during these long newborn nursing days when I can't seem to consume enough calories and I never ever feel full. Because I'm currently breastfeeding and pumping around the clock, I eat these little energy bites throughout the day and also around 11pm, 2am, 5am and just before breakfast too. Or whenever Keller decides he wants to wake me up. I usually don't even get the kid out of his bassinet until after I've had a chance to devour a few bites of food. Priorities people. 

So! The recipe! Three main ingredients. My kind of recipe.


No-Bake Energy Bites

2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup peanut butter
Optional: Raisins, chocolate chips, coconut flakes, 1/2 cup ground flax seed or 1 tablespoon chia seeds. If adding these extras, I would just increase your honey+PB mix by 1/2 cup or so.

Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Microwave PB for about 30-45 seconds, then stir in the honey and mix well. Pour this mixture over your dry ingredients and mix well. Chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes. Once chilled, roll into bite-size balls and store in airtight container in fridge for up to one week. I also like to freeze a big bag of these bites and just grab a handful to thaw for that particular day. Yum!