8.25.2015

honey blueberry muffins

So I've been trying this new thing lately. Well, two new things really. The first new thing is called baking. Who knew baking could be kind-of-sort-of fun? It would be really fun if someone would come clean up the mess afterwards and also teach me how to keep butter from exploding in the microwave. One day you guys. One day I'll get it right. Porter wakes up right around 7:30am most mornings and by 7:32am he's running around the house screaming "hung hung hung" which really means "hungry" which really means "get me some gosh darn food woman!". So in order to experience one less toddler meltdown for the day (one less is still 293 meltdowns total), I've been trying my best to make sure breakfast is at least somewhat thought out, and sometimes even made, the night before. Muffins are great make-ahead items, not to mention you can tell your toddler they're "cupcakes" and they miiiight just believe you. So on to the second new thing I've been doing ... eating less sugar and more honey. And trying to find any and all recipes that call for honey instead of sugar. This kind of happened by accident when I ran out of sugar and saw fourteen honey bears staring at me from the kitchen counter. But it certainly does make sense for our family. Our favorites so far have been honey ice cream (Dan's in charge of that), honey cinnamon banana bread and these yummy honey blueberry muffins ...
Honey Blueberry Muffins (Porter approved)

2 1/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup butter, melted 
2/3 cup honey
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 cup blueberries (I think I used closer to 2 cups because I had them, turned out just fine)

In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a medium bowl, combine the melted butter and honey. Whisk in the eggs and milk. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet mixture. Stir just enough to mix wet and dry ingredients, being careful not to overmix. Gently fold in the blueberries. Spoon batter into greased or paper-lined muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown.