7.08.2015

farmers market peach crisp

We have the cutest little farmers market just down the street from our house. There are typically only about 10 booths set up, but it's the perfect place to pick up some pretty fresh flowers and homegrown produce. Not to mention, live music and dogs! A couple of Saturdays I've walked away with nothing but cookies. But if Dan's along, I tend to have a bit more self-control and actually come home with some fruit and veggies too. Last weekend we picked up some delicious peaches and I ended up making a peach crisp that afternoon. Because, you know, I'm pregnant and I bake now. Weird. If you're wanting a good peach crisp recipe, I'd recommend going with my favorite apple crisp recipe and subbing in the peaches.

Of course, by the time I peeled and cut my five peaches, gave three big chunks to Porter, and dropped two under the fridge ... I only had about 1/2 cup of peaches instead of the suggested three cups. So this crisp was 80% sugary topping. But isn't the topping the whole point of a crisp? I mean, does anyone really care about the fruit underneath? I think not.

Ingredients:
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter (melted)
3 cups peaches (peeled and chopped)
1/2 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease 8-inch square pan. Mix together oats, brown sugar, flour and melted butter in large bowl. Place half of oat mixture in pan. Spread peaches evenly over mixture and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Top with remaining oat mixture and a final sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar. Bake in oven for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.