5.09.2015

homemade multi-surface cleaner

Multi-Surface Cleaner

16 ounce glass spray bottle
Fill half full with distilled white vinegar
Add 10 drops Lemon essential oil
Fill the rest of the bottle with distilled water
Shake and spray and dance and clean!

*Note: Adding essential oil to this spray is optional, but it does help to mask the vinegar smell. You can also switch up the essential oils you use, depending on the season and what you have ready and available. Lemon oil works great for disinfecting, but any oil will do. I also love Orange + Lemon combo (5 drops of each).


It's Saturday! Let's clean! 
Just kidding, you should go do something fun. But I promised over here that I would post some diy cleaning recipes using essential oils. The first is my very favorite. It's a multi-surface cleaner and I literally use it on every surface in our home, minus our granite. I use it to clean Porter's high chair 29 times a day (you've seen those legs, the kid likes to eat). I use it on our hardwood floors (same ingredients that were recommended by the company who refinished our hardwoods eight years ago) and all of our furniture, tables and chairs. I use it to clean our bathrooms, our bedrooms, and all 17 of our windows. It is amazing stuff.

Again, the only thing I don't use this on is our granite in the kitchen.
Granite does not like anything acidic (i.e., vinegar or citrus oils).
I'll be posting an easy peasy granite recipe shortly. 

The best part about these homemade cleaners? Well, other than being ridiculously cheap. I just plop them right out on my counter tops because I think they're pretty to look at. I never thought cleaning products could be part of my home decor, but they are now. Plus I don't have to bend down my big ole pregnant belly every time I want to get a cleaning product from under the sink. Now I just grab and go! It's the little things that make life so much easier. :)
Oh and I even did a little math for ya. Before making my own non-toxic, all-natural cleaners, I was using The Honest Company cleaners. Amazing products and I can't say enough great things about this company. However, I love to clean. And I was spending nearly $6 per bottle (ouch!) on Honest cleaners and I was buying them quite often. It was adding up quickly and giving me a slight ulcer. 

After working some calculations, I came to the conclusion that my little multi-surface cleaner featured above, that works so great on everything ... costs about $0.65 per bottle. And I even rounded up. $0.65!

How do you like them apples, Jessica Alba?  

Just call me the new Honest Company.
Or Jess.
Or Tiff.
Tiff will do just fine.


more about oils over here.