6.20.2013

just call me martha

So yesterday I mentioned that I've been doing some cooking lately. Yes, cooking. Now some of you might not consider making bread from a box or boiling water to make hard boiled eggs actual cooking. But I most certainly do. So that's what I've been doing. Cooking. And I'm kind of freaking proud of myself. I had the day off Monday and spent an entire 2.5 hours in the kitchen. At one point I had the microwave going, the oven preheating, the stove top boiling water and I was busy stirring together what I could only imagine would be the most wonderful mixture of spices. It was tough. But I somehow managed to pull it off without burning the house down. Sherman was watching me the entire time, don't worry. 

One of the things I decided to make was roasted chickpeas. A friend at work told me about these little guys last week and since I had recently been told by my doctor that corn nuts and combos and spicy Doritos aren't really that good for you after all, I decided I'd give this a shot to see if it might calm that crazy salty/spicy craving of mine. 
You'll need two cans of your favorite chickpeas. 
And some ranch dressing mix.
I've also heard that you can do some other fun spices (cinnamon and sugar anyone?). But I stuck with the ranch packet and also added some chili powder and crushed red pepper to give it that zing I like.
Drain and rinse those chickpeas and throw them into a bowl.
Add some olive oil to coat.
Add about a half packet of ranch mix and any other spices you wish.
Place chickpeas on a foil covered pan. You don't have to use foil, but I really hate getting my pans dirty. Yes, I know that's what they are made for.
Then just throw them into the oven.
Actually, place them gently ... otherwise they will roll right off of that pan.
Trust me. I learned the hard way.
Bake at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and crunchy.
Don't forget to stir occasionally.
And if you're like me and hate the word "occasionally" (I need a number folks!) ...
I stirred four times.
Tah-Dah!

And they almost taste like corn nuts.
Almost.

22 comments:

  1. i made these recently with the cinnamon and sugar but i think the ranch packet sounds even more delish--is that possible?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmm!!! I absolutely love chickpeas! I'm totally making this this weekend. Thanks girly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha. I'm totally one of those "I need an exact number"! kind of people. I'm so proud of you cooking up a storm. Must be the baby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound yummy! I totally want to do this. I've even "hearted" this post on bloglovin' so I can go back and make it. Maybe this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. bahaha. My husband would say that I am the exact same way when it comes to cooking. I literally put a hot pocket in the microwave and am like "look honey! I cooked!" Glad to see there's another blogger out there with the same idea. :) Those look yummy ... great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds pretty good!! I might have to give this one a try.

    xo

    www.simplylowcountry.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure if I like chickpeas or not (I know, I know, I can't believe I don't know) but if I do, they this looks yummy! I do know they're good for you, so it's worth a shot. You take really good photos, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. We need a bump pic soon?!?!

      Delete
  8. If it is covered in ranch they will come.
    (aka THESE LOOK DELISH)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! Love chickpeas anyway. Can't wait to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious! Gotta' look into this. But I thought anyone around here would want to eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! That looks good! May I now call you kitchen heroine? I mean, that looks fantastic, and guess they really made up for some crisps or other unhealthy salty stuff. Must try -- chick peas are often underrated anyways.

    Have a wonderful day, almost weekend, yahooo!

    Love from across the pond
    Svenja

    ReplyDelete
  12. Go Martha go! Must be the baby hormones right? Haha. These look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I was a fan of chickpeas and if we got " real" ranch dressing I may actually try this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rachel LandleyJune 21, 2013

    Yummmmm!!! Just pinned this. They look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh these sound great!

    Josie
    FineandFeathered.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Made these yesterday thanks to you ... they are soooo good!! Thank you my dear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Daaaamn. I know what I am making tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look so good! I'm definitely trying this!

    ReplyDelete

There is nothing better than a blog comment. So thank you! I reply to comments right here under the post, so don't forget to check back if you ask a question. Or you can always email: thejonescoffeehouse@gmail.com.