2.27.2013

dinner with dan: mac & cheese style

Remember when I told you all about how Dan can make his own cheese? And I posted a few pictures and rambled off some stuff about cooking, but honestly didn't know a lick about what I was talking about? Well, this post is similar to that post. And it's about cheese too. Go figure. And noodles. A little thing I like to call mac & cheese. Or heaven with some bread crumbs on top.
This is Dan's homemade mac & cheese. How we got to this gorgeous finished product ... I have no idea. But I do remember him boiling some noodles and adding some milk. And some spices. And some cheese. And then more cheese. And then even more cheese. And this is when I kissed him. Twice.
And now for the hard part (for me anyway). The recipe. Which I learned is a combination of several random mac & cheese recipes that Dan the Cheese Man took the time to glance at for a whole 2.4 seconds. Dan's the kind of cook who does a "pinch" of this and a "splash" of that and a "little extra of this" and some "get rid of that". Huh?? I don't get it. I prefer instructions in life. Detailed instructions. And I like to be able to follow those detailed instructions to a T. And I like to know that that's the only way to do it. No pinching or splashing involved. This is why I don't cook. That and I really hate getting the kitchen dirty. And I tend to burn things.

Dan's Baked Mac & Cheese
1 package macaroni
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream
salt, to taste
fresh ground black pepper (lots of it cause Tiff loves it)
a "pinch" of Cumin
a "pinch" of Nutmeg
a "pinch" of Paprika
2.5 cups cheddar cheese
1/2 cup breadcrumbs

Directions: Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (this was my job). Cook and drain macaroni and set aside. Melt butter in large saucepan. Add the flour and spices (salt, pepper, cumin, nutmeg, paprika). Blend with whisk. Pour the milk and cream in gradually while stirring constantly. Reduce heat and cook 10-12 minutes (continue to stir constantly). Begin to add the cheddar cheese (a little at a time) until all cheese is added. Simmer 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Turn off heat and add macaroni to cheese in saucepan. Pour the cheese-coated macaroni into a greased baking dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and bake for 20 minutes until top is golden brown.

Nutritional Facts have purposely been omitted from this blog post.
You are welcome.

28 comments:

  1. This looks SO good. I'm going to pin it right now!

    And can I just say, I love that you mixed peas with your mac & cheese? That's one of my favorite combinations and most people look at me like I'm a crazy person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow. That Dan is a keeper for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Screw nutrition facts. I think we should all have one day of the week where we don't care about them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha. I'm the same way as you are!! However I think the "dashing" and "splashing" works well for Dan! That looks so very amazing!! Dan is a keeper for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so yummy! You should do a weekly blog post on Dan's Dinners!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your husband and I cook the same way. It makes replicating some recipes really, really hard. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've got quite the chef on your hands - lucky! Also, your hair looks really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious! I love how you left the nutritional information out. Nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I am super hungry and would like to eat some mac & cheese for breakfast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um... this looks amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That really does look DELICIOUS! I am going to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You sound EXACTLY like me in the cooking department. And Dan sounds exactly like Andre. Andre will just toss stuff in here and there while I'm dragging out the measuring cups and spoons. Drives me crazy! That's why I leave all the cooking to him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh, and I thought I was the only kitchen-anti-hero around blog land, ha ha!

    I admire you for posting a recipe though. And it looks delicious. I too, also dislike dirty kitchen (oh, and men tend to get every single item out of the cupboards, use every single knife etc. whereas I tend to re-use bowls and knives and clean up the kitchen while waiting for something to cook, or while stirring, ha ha.

    Nevertheless, I think I need mac & cheese right now ;-)

    Love,
    Svenja

    Happybluebird

    ReplyDelete
  14. A recipe on your blog?!?! I don't believe my eyes but I'm so glad you posted it! It looks soooo good! Hats off to Dan and your picture taking skills! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. We make what I call "S&G M&C". It's macaroni and cheese, but with 3 different types of noodles (bowtie, spiral, and tube- no, I have no idea what the Italian names are), usually 6-8 different types of cheese (a creamy sheep cheese, mozzarella, a smoked cheese, a medium cheddar, a nutty cheese, parmesan, and any others we have that would work. We are cheese addicts.), and parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme.
    (That's the S&G- Simon and Garfunkel. Yes, I'm a dork.)
    Then we top it with breadcrumbs. It's amazing.
    We started it in England with mostly Wensleydale Creamery cheeses plus parmesan and mozzarella, but we've had to find substitutes over here since few Wensleydale cheeses are available here. But it's amazing.

    And now I think I know what I'm having for dinner...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and no butter, but I do use a dash of milk. And we just cook the noodles al dente then mix it all up and put it in the oven, and let the cheeses melt in there. It makes a nice crispy edge!

      Delete
  16. Seriously love any and all Mac & Cheese. We try to get it at just about every restaurant. Yours look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  17. how spoiled are you??!!
    {and how jealous am I that you have a man that cooks like a pro??!!}

    this looks divine! Oh, mac and cheese, the ULTIMATE comfort food!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. holy moly! this mac and cheese looks amazing!! gotta try it soon, i love me some mac and cheese, that is my go to bring me back to childhood type of dish

    ReplyDelete
  19. yum!! homemade mac n cheese is SO good. if you like bleu cheese or gorgonzola, try sprinkling it on the top next time! it will blow. yo. mind.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum...I'll be over in a sec! :) Peas are a neat idea too! I swear though if it wasn't for my son and his bride moving here soon I really would have no use for pots and pans...unless they come with a cook! :) My sister's lucky like you and has a hubby that LOVES to cook and is an amazing chef!!! I get to pick whatever I want him to make on my birthday - yum!
    SOOO wish I could EVER pull off your cute hair style! It looks just precious on you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I soo wish I could have had that rather than the dinners I have to have!!! And cheese!! Yum!!! This post is making me hate this cleanse!!! But I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. um, that looks way better than my out of the box mac&cheese specialty of the house!
    You go Dan!
    xx

    Here&Now

    ReplyDelete
  23. THAT MAC AND CHEESE...ohmygawsh.

    ReplyDelete
  24. thanks for sharing this because now I totally think I'm making this for dinner. :) I love a good mac n' cheese! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. definitely going to try Dan's mac and cheese...I'm always on the hunt for a good mac-n-cheese dish

    ReplyDelete

There is nothing better than a blog comment. So thank you! I reply to comments right here under the post, so don't forget to check back if you ask a question. Or you can always email: thejonescoffeehouse@gmail.com.