12.13.2012

tis the season {to save}

If you really knew me, you would know that my hands were literally shaking while holding that hundred dollar bill. I get a little excited when I see {or hold} money. Sometimes Dan will give me a quarter just to see my eyes light up. A whole quarter! I wish I were kidding. I'm the girl who picks up pennies off the ground in the Walmart parking lot. Oh and I'm the girl who goes to Walmart.

So last night Dan and I had a little conversation
(sometimes we like to have those)
and it went something like this:

Dan:  Want me to order you some more t-discs for your coffeemaker?
Tiff:  Nah. I think I'm going to cut down on coffee.
Dan:  Why?
Tiff:  Because coffee is expensive. Those discs are like 50¢ a pop.
Dan:  Oh Tiff.
(Remember what "Oh Tiff" means?)

And this is the story of our life together.
Dan is smart with his {our} money, don't get me wrong. But his thought is if you enjoy something ... do it. If you like something ... buy it. And don't even get me started on vacations with him. He would blow our entire savings on one amazing vacation if I'd let him. That's a little dramatic, but he does love to travel.

So anyway, the point of my story is that this got me thinking about things I currently do to save money. I made a list of 89 things. But I'm going to share with you 15 today. I don't want you to run away just yet.
1. I don’t go to Starbucks. Or Dunkin. Or Panera for coffee. Unless my sister is buying.

2. I very seldom go shopping. Unless my sister gives me a gift card. Seeing a trend here? I am really excited to see her for Christmas. 

3. I don't have a data plan on my phone. I prefer free wireless that other people have so generously already paid for.

4. Heck, I don't even own a phone. Or a voice plan. I use Dan's old iPhone and I'm on a voice plan with my sister. My brother-in-law. And baby Jack. I can't wait for Jack to start asking my sister questions like "Mom ... why doesn't Aunt Tiff pay for her own stuff?"

5. I go to the cheapest dry cleaners in town. Maybe once a year.

6. I never buy clothes that require dry cleaning.

7. I won't buy a domain name for my blog. I really want to. But it’s like $10 a year guys. No way hosay. At least not right now. I am a-ok with my {dot}blogspot{dot}com address for free. Free!

8. And speaking of free ... water is free. I never pay for bottled water.

9. And speaking of bottles ... I {hardly} ever drink bottled beer. If we have bottled beer in our home it usually means we have guests. Or it’s our anniversary. Beer from a can and wine from a box is the way to go. Easier to recycle too.

10. I steal poop bags.

11. I have never in my life bought a gym membership. I totally get why people do if they need that extra motivation. But I personally cannot fathom spending money when you can exercise for free. Running on the sidewalk is free ... so that is what I do. And saving $20 - $200 a month by not buying a gym membership is motivation enough for me to hop out of that warm, cozy bed every morning at 5am. That and Sherman licking my face saying "let's gooooo mom!".

12. I make my lunch every. single. day. Are you jealous of my life yet?

13. I {we} don't eat out. Dan and I have been on two dates this year. One date consisted of concession food; the other ... a Groupon coupon for 50% off our meal. Romance schomance.

14. I do my grocery shopping at Aldi. You know, the store where you have to put a quarter in the cart just to get a cart because they're scared cheap people like me will steal the cart? Yup. That's me. I'll have to tell you more about Aldi soon. I'm actually a big fan.

15. I drive my car from high school.
My freshman year of high school.

Oh and I told you a few other things I'm guilty of (like putting water in the ranch dressing bottle) over here a very long time ago.

Damn it feels good to be a gangsta tightwad.

45 comments:

  1. OMG. I SWEAR we must be twins! I don't buy myself anything. I don't have a problem buying something for someone, if it's cheap/on sale, ha. Aldi is about the only place I go anymore!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Oh Tiff".....I so agree with Dan about travelling!! And honey I work in Rands and currently that's about R8.67 to the $1!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I were more like you! If I have cash money, it burns a hole in my pocket! The hubs is the tightwad in our relationship and squeeks when he walks! I love it! lol I'm flying into Kansas City on Dec. 21st!!! I cannot wait to be back out there again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HahaHA. "Oh Tiff". Seriously. You crack me up!! Where do you think of this stuff?? And I love that you are so cheap. Makes me love you that much more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just discovered Aldi! It rocks! I have a couple of stories!
    Your 1000th fan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bahaha. This just made my morning!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm such a tightwad when it comes to food and groceries too, I'd much rather eat in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh boy. i would be rich if i lived like you. not sure if i should be glad that you are saving money or sad that you aren't spending money, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Long lost sister right here!! Seriously. I am the same way. It truly is glad to hear that I'm not the only one ... so thank you for admitting to this. Not to mention making me laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *good ... not glad. Speaking of coffee, I need some.

      Delete
  10. I need to be more like you! I ate out on fri,sat,mon and tues and I can think of another three times I'll be eating out in the next week, plus I very rarely take lunch to work. My new years resolution should be "be more like Tiff when it comes to money." can we (I) hear some more of your money saving ideas please?

    ReplyDelete
  11. lady - it's like looking in a damn mirror reading this post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Um, you are inspirational! This is what people from the Greatest Generation did. They didn't have credit. They bought with cash. I want to be like this, and stick to a stricter shopping budget, mind you... And getting the husband on board is hard,but I can't do it on my own! -Jess L

    ReplyDelete
  13. haha, you're awesome! I need to take some notes. The only reason I bring my breakfast and lunch every single day to work...I'm allergic to everything under the sun and can't eat out...same goes for dinner. I did however walk into Costco, walk down the chip isle casue I was hungry, then thought, self you don't need those, walk away, just walk away. Then I had my son saying, run mama run, I took it as a sign.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also still have my car from high school! Glad to know I'm not the only one who's still driving a "Happy Sweet 16" car.... 12 years later! Our mechanic friend told us it wouldn't last another year, but that was 3 years ago and the transmission hasn't totally blown out yet! We are however ·thinking· about replacing our tiny, old, barely-big-enough-for-a-carseat car in favor of something with more space.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You and I are long lost sisters. You have no idea how many times I just nodded my head, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha 'oh, Tiff' ... Love that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I shop at Aldi all the time. Love it. It's def the way to go when you have to pay for mortgages and stuff. I love your savings and your way of life. People can learn from you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I seriously need to be more like you. When I have any leftover money to use for whatever I want, I burn it like no one's business.

    So I say way to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hahaha stop it. Where do you get Sherm's food? I know it's not Aldi. Tell the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hahaha this is hilarious. I WISH I was more like you. I'm all like "oh, those lulu pants are $100? That's reasonable".

    ReplyDelete
  21. So did you promptly run to the bank after taking these pictures with the money? I love Aldi too! Wish I was more frugal in some of these other areas too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Tightwad? No. Resourceful and smart? Yes. Someday when you are able to retire you will be so happy you saved as much as you do. I work with retirees and I see firsthand what a difference saving makes! Many young whipper-snappers don't think about retirement when they are busy "living the dream!" Good for you, grandma... I mean, Tiff!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You and I are pretty alike like this. I am the butt of the jokes when it comes to frugality. I won't even make a trip about 3 miles away for trash bags. I won't waste the gas. I'll use the no trash bags trash for a couple days until I know I HAVE to go out for other things and do it all at once.

    I took the kids to IHOP last night and totally regreted it. 35 bucks for eggs, pancakes, and juice?! Oh, you kids had a good time!?! WELL, SOAK IT IN because that is not happening again until NEXT CHRISTMAS!

    (Oh, and I will not be weird and fixated on this 1000 followers thing. I am NOT mentioning that...)

    ReplyDelete
  24. My mom swears by Aldi. I think it's pretty great, but then, in Europe you have to bring your own bags to most stores or else pay to get them.
    My mom would love you. Growing up she made us pick up any cans we saw in parking lots, then we'd take them to the Reynold's Recycling truck and get money for them. First we'd crush them, of course, because then you fit more in the trunk. Of her $1000 car.
    Oh, and living in England has apparently helped me not shop (plus the whole fact that I HATE trying on clothes and my body hates things purchased without trying on first) but 2 months after moving back I still get crazy overwhelmed just going in the grocery store. I went to Kmart the other day (I have moral and ethical issues with Walmart and the Walton family...) and I swear the store was reeling around me. It couldn't have been me reeling... and I've yet to step in Target or a mall. Mostly because the only good thing in a mall is a Great American Cookie slice, and I'm nervous to go to Target plus we're broke since everyone and their cousin needs dentals in our house.

    My mom used to take her own styrofoam trays to the Chinese takeout near our house. That was more a waste/reuse thing, but still. That's how she rolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and she saves the return envelopes from junk mail offers and uses those as envelopes. I don't remember her EVER buying an envelope. We also had to straighten out our wrapping paper each birthday/Christmas (and unwrap carefully, no ripping!) because it was reused each year.
      That was festive. We started wrapping presents to each other in t-shirts. It was easier to just pull the gift out and hand back the shirt.

      Delete
  25. Okay, Doe's your husband know my husband?? Because I see some similarity with them both! lol My hubby's the same way when it comes to money. I actually hide money around the room hehe. Thanks for posting! I was looking for some ways to make/save money and was gonna write a post about it! Did you read my mind??

    ReplyDelete
  26. you sound like me. lol. spending money sort of makes me sick.yikes ;) I am so frugal! love your tips :)!

    the less i spend the less time i have to work the more time i get with my kiddos ;) i like it that way!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You make me smile!!! I think Steve & I are you & Dan just the farm version! :) we just did Financial Peace......you would rock that class!

    ReplyDelete
  28. lol. Seriously. You make me laugh! Love this post and love how frugal you are. Your life seriously amazes me. You're cute and smart and beautiful ... and cheap. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Aldi is my favorite. And I don't buy clothing not on clearance (unless im spending someone else's money) AND I use a coupon to buy diapers.. does that count? :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I make our lunch every day too...it saves so much!! I will not buy bottled water either, it is so dumb and I'm pretty sure poop bags are there to steal. At least that's what I've told myself.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I used to be more like that... I would almost never spend money on anything and if I did buy anything it was for one of my animals. Or I'd buy a nailpolish one of those cheap ones that really need to be thrown out rather than sold.

    Then starting college I began to loosen up with my cash. Now if I could just learn to reign it back it...

    ReplyDelete
  32. Please come stay with me for a week to whip me into shape. I NEED to start saving better. You must have a bazillion dollars saved up. I eat out almost every day for lunch. That's a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  33. We said many times that Aldi has saved us SOOO much money! I shop there all the time! I agree with you about bottled water, dry cleaning and starbucks!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Yep...I'm still guilty about letting sometime buy me such expensive slippers! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Yep...I'm still guilty about letting sometime buy me such expensive slippers! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  36. You are my hero! You should be very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I am frugal but not nearly as frugal as you. I think it's awesome that you have that much self discipline!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hahahaha! You're a riot Tiff! Sounds like you would've enjoyed my post a couple days ago about all the things you can get/sign up for, for FREE on your birthday! But then I guess yours has already passed, but you can sign hubby up, and then pretend like you got him all those free things when it's his special day! Presents for others for free?? Can't beat that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  39. wow, i need to take some serious lessons from you! i like this post. it's given me some great ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. i just found your blog through Nestful of Love! Love it. Such good tips on saving money. Definitely need to work on that! Thanks for sharing! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  41. I need to take some lessons from you. I've eaten lunch out every day in the last week so far (i love my takeout!)

    I think you should do a post on your favorite inexpensive lunch ideas, etc.

    oh, and other ways to save.

    Do you have a budget spreadsheet to share? because I sure could use one of those! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  42. LOVE this - Love Aldi and I LOVE your car. Please please post more along this line :)

    Would LOVE to read your thoughts on Aldi :)

    ReplyDelete

There is nothing better than a blog comment. So thank you! I reply to comments right here under the post, so don't forget to check back if you ask a question. Or you can always email: thejonescoffeehouse@gmail.com.