Saturday, December 15

finding beauty

{via}
As I sit here on this foggy December morning ... Sherman on my lap ... perfectly brewed coffee in my hand ... I cannot help but think about the recent devastation that has played out in Connecticut. Innocent children taken from the world. From their parents. From their siblings. From their community. I couldn't fall asleep last night. And I couldn't go back to sleep this morning. 

Like so many others, I am racking my brain.
Why? Why? Why?

The only thing I can come up with is that we can't come up with anything.
We can't use logic to try and figure out illogical people. People who do things like this ... people who hurt other people ... they are not logical. Therefore, how can we try and use logic to understand people who are not logical? 

I don't think we can. 
And so instead we look for hope.
And we pray.
We find refuge in those we love.
We surround ourselves with beautiful things.
Beautiful pictures. Beautiful words.
Beautiful people.
Don't forget that there are still wonderful people out there.
Don't forget that there are amazing things being done every single day.
And if you can, try to focus on that.
Go find yourself some beauty today.
It's out there. I promise.


“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.”

-Fred Rogers (aka Mister Rogers)

15 comments:

  1. I couldn't sleep either. And President Obama made me cry even harder. Seeing our president cry like that...

    I can't stop thinking about it too. My heart is broken. As a parent myself, losing my kids is a big fear. I can't imagine what the parents are feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen friend. Best words I've seen written yet. My heart is broken for these people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so right. Only the good. Only the true. Only the beautiful. Our focus is the only thing we can control.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so true!!

    i can't beieve what happened either, those poor families and whole community. i have been praying hard for all affected.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't understand why it had to happen. This is just so sad and horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so beautifully put. One of my high school science teachers wrote this on Facebook last night...My thoughts at this moment: Today it is almost impossible to bear, but tomorrow we will remember that school is still the safest place in a child's life. Tomorrow will come and we will hear of teachers who fought to save the lives of the children. And of counsellors who help them go on with their lives. We will hear tomorrow of parents who won't forget to hug their children a little closer and watch them while they fall asleep. And we will promise to ourselves to care just a little more. Tomorrow we will celebrate the vastly larger group of people who love and tend to our children when they are out of our sight. And tomorrow we will still know that despite the great evil of this deed, the force for good is still strong in our world. Teach your children that and tomorrow we will begin to heal. (Sorry for the lengthy comment, but I thought this was fitting to share with you and your readers!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for writing this. It is beautifully put and I needed to read this today.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still cannot wrap my head around what happened in CT... don't know if I ever will. I do want to be a helper too, help bring a little beauty and love to those around me
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hugs to you friend. You are such an amazing writer. Very well said.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amen. I keep thinking a new word will have to be invented for what's happened.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tiff this was beautiful! Love you friend

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amen is right. I love reading your words! You are so right ... it's so important to look for the beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is beautiful. Even if we can't come up with reasons, we can still find hope and faith in God by the 'helpers' and beautiful people around us. He is constant.

    ReplyDelete