9.18.2012

mozzarella madness

Alright. I've been jabbering on and on about mozzarella for over a week now {sorry for your luck}. So, I thought maybe you'd like to see some of this cheese making in action. Just to prove to you that I'm not making it up. I like to prove that from time to time. If you happen to be new here, the back story is simple. Husband likes to learn new things. Especially when it comes to cooking.

This last weekend consisted of a class on "smoking", which included building and bringing home his own drum smoker. Do you know how big drum smokers are? Sherman will not stop barking at it. But, we're not talking about smoking meat today. We're talking about cheese making. Ready? Ready.
Just in case you really are thinking about making this {if you are, you are nuts} ...
here is what you'll need:

1 gallon whole milk (not ultra-pasteurized) (Shatto, Belfonte, etc.)
½ fromase tablet (vegetable rennet tablets)
citric acid powder (lemon juice)
sea salt (kosher salt) 
Guys, this is serious business. I even had to stand on a chair at one time to take pictures.
We begin this lesson on making fresh mozzarella with the "Creation of Curds".
Because that sounds so interesting {sarcasm}.

Pour milk into a large pot (5 quarts). Add 1 ¼ tsps. of the citric acid to the milk and dissolve. Heat the milk mixture in the pot until the temperature reaches 90 F. Remove from heat. Dissolve 1/2 of the fromase rennet tablet in 1/4 cup cool water and add to milk mixture. The milk should start to curdle.
Let the mixture sit for 10-15 minutes until the curds crack cleanly and look like gelatin. If you poke your finger into it (how fun is that?), the curd and whey should separate. Slice the curds into squares with a knife. Line a strainer with cheesecloth and set over a large bowl. Scoop the curds into the cheesecloth lined strainer. Let the whey (liquid) strain out.

Side note: I laugh every time Dan says "whey". Every single time. Not sure why.
Wrap the cheesecloth around the curds to form a ball and squeeze the remaining whey out by pressing the liquid out until it is dry. Place dry curds in a bowl, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 3 days. You can also eat it at this stage (this would be called Italian cottage cheese). I did this. It was really good.

Nope, we're not done yet.
Now you go on to the "Pulling of the Fresh Mozzarella".
Ok. So maybe we are done. There is an entire page designated to "how to pull fresh mozzarella". But, I am tired of typing and I really don't think anyone is going to try this. Not to mention, I took zero pictures of Dan pulling the cheese (I think I was too busy eating that Italian cottage cheese he gave me). He should know by now. Do not give me food. I lose all focus.

You want my opinion? Go to the store. Buy mozzarella. Eat the mozzarella. Save your time. Save your kitchen. Save yourself.
And do not tell Dan that I said that.

33 comments:

  1. Your opinion was my favorite part, nerd.

    I'm not even convinced Dan is entirely human, maybe half robot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was the first comment. I'm just saying.






    where's my prize?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. wowww, very impressive!!! looks really yummy, but prob wouldnt do this at home ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks amazing!!! I wish I had patients to do this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool that you all like to learn how to do stuff like this. I can honestly say I've never seen cheese making before. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dan is the cheese making man! I certainly do not have the patience to attempt something like this... heck, I didn't even have the patience to read all of your instructions! The pictures were enough for me to know I will be taking your advice and buying all my cheese for consumption. Dan's cheese does look scrumptious though! How is it you don't weigh 300lbs with all of the goodness he makes for you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm. Looks like far too much hard work for my liking! Looking at the photos of the curds and whey did take me back to my job on a cheese farm though! Oh, the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha I love this! Do you say mozzarella the regular way or moootzarella? haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy moly! Dan's got skills!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a lot of work I'm with you go to the store save yourself and kitchen for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This seems complicated. And awesome. I would go to the store. I don't have the patience to wait on such deliciousness. But I hope you guys had fun! And hopefully Dan says "whey" a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. whenever i see mozzarella i now think of you. just saying. Also I am one of those crazies.. after you posted about this 5x ago, I pinned a recipe to try it on my own. Maybe i'll repin yours now instead? thank ya ma'am! & nice legs btw I'd die for em! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. this definately looks so serious!! great job doing it! i'm very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Little miss muffet sat on her tuffet eating her curds and whey........does not sound as yummy now that I have an idea of what it looks like!!!!!

    Sexy legs by the way........new hair, forever legs.....Sherms has a hottie fur momma!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hahahaha the whole time I read this I thought to myself- damnit I would never have enough patience for this. I might just have to stick with store bought mozzie. But go Dan go, more power to him! And I'm so glad you survived the chair standing!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am impressed! I think I'm up for the challenge. Looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your husband is truly the Jack of All Trades-- where did you find him? Does he have a spare brother/cousin you could set aside for me??

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Tiffany-

    Will you please pretty please send Dan over to our house to make fresh mozzarella for us? We will be very appreciative! Thanks in advance!

    :-)

    ♥ Kyna

    ReplyDelete
  19. Omg omg omg omg. Omg. I love you for posting this. Guess what I'm doing tomorrow? Yep. Cheese time, all day, cheese.
    Xx
    Justyn

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks amazing, and ridiculous. and Im glad you didn't fall into boiling milk!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It would be seriously dangerous for me to be able to make my own mozz...dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can not believe you guys made your own mozzarella. I'm usually game to try and make anything once, but this looks way too complicated for me and my tiny kitchen. Kudos to you and your hubs, but I'm sticking with store bought cheese :o) Although, with a lot more appreciation for the work it now takes/

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOL. I will definitely be buying my mozzarella. As much as I love cheese, I am just not that ambitious. Looks like fun though. I am sure it was fabulous.

    ~FringeGirl

    thedomesticfringe.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. ummm my other half LOVES smoking meat, and now is making his own smoker. There's a 7.5 ft long decommissioned propane tank sitting in our garage right now... Men and their past times. At least they like to cook, right?

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have been gone from blogger world in 2 weeks and I come back and Dan has made mozzarella cheese??? Wow and dang!! YOu need a Pinterest link :) So that I can pin this and pretend like I will attempt to do this one day... like the other 5000 things I pinned :))) I am catching up and stalking you for a bit now :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. hahahhaha, I busted at your comment about "whey". Have you seen that commercial about "whhHHHeeethins" ??? I hope so, cause you will totally understand why this cracked me up too. :)

    Distinctly M

    ReplyDelete
  27. Goodness lady you are a riot! Cheesemaking at home... only you!
    xx
    Here&Now

    ReplyDelete

There is nothing better than a blog comment. So thank you! I reply to comments right here under the post, so don't forget to check back if you ask a question. Or you can always email: thejonescoffeehouse@gmail.com.