8.10.2012

a few of his favorite things

Do you think I might be ready for kids? Geez.
So it's almost August 13th. Do you remember what that means?
Probably not. I almost forgot too. It means that I will be doing this little thing called "work" from sun up to sun down for the next couple of weeks here. I will also be consuming more wine than I have in a very long time. And most importantly ... it means that it's almost time for that little Home Tour that I was telling you all about. So, in honor of the last Friday before the Home Tour ... I thought I would show you a few things that we have around our house. Or a few of Sherman's things rather. Honestly, Sherm has nicer things than we do.
  1. Magnetic picture frame/marker board {crate & barrel}
  2. Bamboo food/water dish {amazon}
  3. DIY snack jars. I think this is the only DIY project I have ever completed. Ever. {jars/stickers from hobby lobby}
  4. Kong {petsmart}
  5. Toy bin. It used to be a basket until Sherm ate the basket. Now it is a galvanized metal bin from Lowes {I wrote about that incident HERE}
  6. Peanut Butter. 6 lbs of it. 6! {sams club}
  7. Every dog needs a travel bed. Dogs don't sleep on the ground in my world. {crate & barrel}
  8. Lab picture {see HERE}
  9. Bed {we've gone through a few hundred of these ... long story}
And speaking of nice things ... I know this nice girl who does nice things. Her name is Lucy. And by "nice" I mean one of the sweetest, kindest, most inspirational bloggers I have met. Guys, she does good things. She really does. So please put your phones on vibrate, stop working (don't tell your bosses I said that) and give Lucy here your undivided attention (I really should have been a teacher) ...
I would like to invite you to join me on a fun adventure. An adventure where you will have to step out of your comfort zone, but you will feel the benefits of it. I was thinking that wouldn't it be amazing that as a group we could go around and share our Acts of Kindness every month.

My challenge to you is to link up with me and either do a VLOG or Blog Post and share your favorite Acts of Kindness on the 3rd Friday of every month.

I love blogging, but blogging to make a difference gets me excited. Please feel free to contact me at fight4justicelm@gmail.com if you would like to be a co-host. 
Doing good for others has some pretty nice benefits for you.
Performing simple acts of kindness and compassion will make your life more enjoyable, satisfying and complete.
If you want to live a truly great life, then perform sincere acts of kindness without expecting anything in return.
3 Ways Doing "Acts of Kindness" benefits You
“It is one of the most beautiful compensations of this life that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself.”  ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
1. God has called us to do "good unto others and love our neighbor as ourselves"
As the quote above states, it is something that we should be doing. When you do good, you feel good. I’ve experienced this many times myself. I don’t know exactly why, but I know that if I volunteer my time or perform some other good deed, I walk away with a deep sense of satisfaction and joy.
 2. Gives You a Greater Sense of Self-Worth
When you help someone else in need, it gives you an increased sense of self-worth. You learn that you can make a difference. This is an important acknowledgement that can really make you feel good about yourself and your capabilities. After all, if you can truly help someone, then you have a tremendous value to offer the world. Of course, we all have something to offer so this works for everyone.
3. Promotes Gratitude
The best cure for feelings of  lack of fulfillment is to reach out and help another human being that is less fortunate than yourself. I challenge you to give this a try and see if I’m not right. Practicing gratitude is a key contributor to real happiness. Therefore, doing good makes you happy.

Doing Good Benefits You and Others

Bottom line, the beauty of doing good is that it helps others and you at the same time. It is a true win-win. You just can’t help others without helping yourself in the process. If you want to make a big improvement in your life, then get out there and help someone else.
I love this Smile You've Been Tagged cards. You can leave them as an anonymous gesture of your selfless action to the person you have tagged with kindness. You can download this cards on www.helpothers.org. Check out all the different languages they come in, along with kindness ideas …. or just check out their website to be inspired.
It isn’t hard to find an opportunity. The world is full of needs that you can meet. For a list of ideas to help you get started check out Karma Cooler here http://www.karmacooler.com/2009/02/100-ideas-for-kindness/
Go do some good today!
This Month's challenge will be to do an Acts of Kindness for your neighbor or someone who lives close to your community. (be anonymous if you can) :)
Please grab a button and pass it on!
Find your sparkle, bog site


Lucy, you make me proud. I also know that Lucy loves dogs as much as I do, and this makes me proud too. Because there are just not enough crazy dog moms out there these days. You know what else makes me proud?
Being able to announce this ...

Winner of last week's giveaway was ... Allison {Nestful of Love}
Congrats Allison! I will be emailing you.

20 comments:

  1. hahaha when i first saw this, i thought you were doing Dan's wish list for christmas.
    nope. not even close.
    oh sherman! he gets the goods :)
    and random acts of kindness are pretty rad.
    i listen to a radio station where they have people pay for the person's meal behind them in the drive thru line.
    i've never done it, but i've wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shawn bought Cakes and Siri the red Kongs. Siri ripped the top off the first night. So Shawn bought Siri a black Kong. Siri tore it the first night. Siri no longer gets Kongs.

    I have been trying to figure out what to do with All.The.Stinkin.Dog.Toys. in my living room. I might try a bucket/bin like that. What a great idea!

    I love Lucy! She really is the best and an inspiration to us all.

    Hugs!
    Kara
    ShawnKaraAndHeidi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw the headline on FB I knew the "his" would be Sherman!
    We've got 5 dogs beds on the floor in various parts of our house and a couple more that move around as needed. Where are the dogs? Usually on the couch or our bed. Yep.
    Oh, and we've got an XL memory foam bed that perfectly sits in the cargo part of my Element, and that lives there and is our "travel" bed. Mostly it's there so Max doesn't slip on the car plastic, though.
    Have a great weekend!!
    Oh- sometimes I'm jealous of you purebred people and your ability to purchase things that are "chocolate lab" or "mini schnauzer" etc. as decor, trinkets, whatever. They don't make "Sloan breed". Probably for good reason, though... one of her is MORE than enough for the world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww. Sammy used to have a bed, until he chewed it up. Now his bed is our guest bed. He definitely knows how to do it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cannot wait to see the house tour!!! I also love all of Sherms things!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Sherm, you are so spoiled. Just like my baby! She definitely doesn't get 6 lbs of peanut butter though, so consider yourself lucky.
    Thanks for the introduction to Lucy, I love her idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, Sherm has great things. Once we get a dog, he/she is never going to visit you because it would make me look like a terrible puppy parent. No, but for serious, I will just steal all your ideas so our puppy can be as happy as Sherm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I have that peanut butter too! It's like, $7 for all that peanut butter. *Cyber five*

    ReplyDelete
  9. love this post....love tour of Sherman's favorite things and love that you introduced us to Lucy, how great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha Sherman is so spoiled!! I love your challenge to do something for others, I'm already thinking of something that I can do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This makes me want a dog even more (sigh).

    ReplyDelete
  12. A) Our pup is right there with Sherm. I'm thinking they are going to have identity crises when children actually do enter the picture!

    B) Love the simple acts of kindness idea. Our church did something similar and it was awesome to see what came of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lol. Our pup is completely spoiled too! I love those treat jars! I really want to get something like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. First off love the DIY snack jars! Look at you!

    Second...love this idea for a blog post! You are a great example of kindness!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will aboslutely participate in this kindness campaign! What a great thing. And gees, Jones... way to come back with such a substantive blog post after complaining about no substance earlier this week. Way to make others (like me) look bad. I'm just going to post about some birthday candles today. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great link up! We need more kindness in this world I'd say :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad to know my little mutt head isn't the only one that can chew up a toy bin. Hers wasn't even a basket. It was plastic. SOLID plastic. She chewed it to pieces. So now she has a nice little wire basket.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A. When I first saw this post I thought for a second you were doing a "a few of Sherman's favorite things" giveaway and I was sooooooooo excited.

    B. Have you read the book The Art of Racing in the Rain? Bc if you haven't, you should. Its told from a dog's perspective. I've been laughing/crying/feeling like a dog since I started it 2 days. I feel like you'd like it.

    C. That's it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. 6 pounds of peanut butter? That's what I'm talking about! And I won?! I'm so, so, so excited! I definitely owe you one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hehehe I love how spoilt your dog is! It's so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete

There is nothing better than a blog comment. So thank you! I reply to comments right here under the post, so don't forget to check back if you ask a question. Or you can always email: thejonescoffeehouse@gmail.com.